Sunday, February 10, 2013

Christmas and New Year's, à la française


 First of all, sorry everybody for writing this a month late, but as the first semester just came to an end, I was overwhelmed with studying for finals and writing my memoir.  A few stressful nights and 20 pages later, my memoir is complete, turned in, and I have already received me grade (which I’m happy about!).  This week I have been on holiday, work free, so finally I have the chance to update you on my last holiday (Christmas and New Year’s).   Get ready.  Here it goes:

During the month of December, Angers was lit up with Christmas lights and Christmas music played as you walked down the street.  Most of the decorations were pink and gold, which are apparently their Christmas colors.  The center of town held a Christmas market with several red and blue shacks selling all sorts of things, including the best apple cider I’ve ever had (or as they call it here, “hot apple juice”).  We didn’t have a Christmas tree at home, but there was a huge decorated one in town.  One night a few friends and I spent the night in town wandering around, eating churros and pretzels, drinking hot cider or hot wine, watching a lady dance with giant Russian dolls, listening to guys play Christmas music with a horn and bells, observing the people on stilts all dressed in white, and finished the night by escaping the cold and eating a 10pm dinner in a cozy café. 
                                                                 Christmas Market in Angers

            December 21st was the last day of classes before break, and that night I hopped on a train to Paris to spend two weeks with my friend Romain and his family.  Even though I had my memoir to write, which of course stressed me out, I was still able to have fun and visit places.  

We visited Château de Fontainebleau, which was the château of François I during the Renaissance when Italian artists came to France and influenced the French art of that period.  It was a neat experience to go to this château because I had studied it during the semester in my Art History class.  For me, art and architecture is always more fascinating when I know its history.
                                                           Château de Fontainebleau

One night we went to the Christmas market along the Champs-Élysées.  It was similar to the one in Angers, but of course a lot bigger! The whole street was lit up with Christmas lights…
                                              Champs-Élysées/Arc de Triomphe

 I also got to go to the Edward Hopper art exhibition, which was held in the Grand Palais in Paris.  It was interesting to see the works of an American painter, while in France – paintings that reflected my culture, American culture.  Another day, we went to the Salvador Dali exhibition at Centre Pompidou.  Unlike Hopper who was a realist painter, Dali was a surrealist.  Yes, his paintings are a bit bizarre, but I found them extremely fascinating.  No doubt, Dali was a crazy and egotistical man, yet a brilliant artist.  A different afternoon, Romain and I went to Musée Grévin, which is a wax museum.  They had movie stars, famous singers, cartoon characters, artists, history figures, and athletes.   We had a fun time taking pictures of each other imitating the poses or expressions of the people.  Next to some of the figures there were even accessories that you could put on to be more like that person; so of course we took advantage of that. It was pretty hilarious!

One night we went into Paris to see the Eiffel Tower lit up (something I’ve always wanted to see, but never have).  Every hour, it sparkles for five minutes.  Magical.  It was a rainy night, but I didn’t mind.  For those of you who have seen the film “Midnight in Paris,” Owen Wilson is right – Paris is beautiful in the rain, especially at night.  
                                                         Eiffel Tower sparkling

I thought it would be hard being away from home during Christmas and New Year’s, but actually, I think I was lucky to be able to experience these holidays in another culture.   On Christmas Eve, family came over to their house for a huge delicious dinner.   We spent the night playing video games, and at midnight we opened presents.  I guess that was the major difference – opening presents at midnight instead of Christmas morning, going to bed at 3am and sleeping in on Christmas, and not getting woken up early by my brother to go open our gifts.  ;)  Christmas day we went into Paris to see the display windows (Dior, Louis Vuitton).  
                                                             Display windows in Paris

New Year’s Eve, they had family and friends over for a party.  I again got to try a lot of new and delicious food.  We played video games, cards, and danced.   The biggest difference here was that there wasn’t really a countdown, and once the clock strikes midnight everyone goes around and kisses each other.  Later that night we had a dance competition – Girls vs. Boys vs. Dads.  Each group choreographed their own dance to their song of choice, and then once everyone was ready and had practiced enough, the performances began.   The moms were the judges who voted for the best group.   After the votes were tallied, the dads ended up winning.  I went to bed around 4am, content and ready for whatever this new year would have in store for me.

I had a great two weeks because it was like being home for the holidays, but without actually leaving France.  No, I can’t say that I spent two weeks traveling around Europe like some people did, but I can say that I got the opportunity to celebrate the holidays with French and participate in their traditions. On top of that, I got introduced to new TV series and got to learn some new games; I got to try foie gras, and got to hear pretty much every slang word that I had learned in my Français Familier class used in real conversation.  What more could I ask for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment